Was at The Oval today for the re-arranged Irish Cup Semi-Final between Linfield and Newry City.

It was originally drawn as Linfield v Ballymena United, but a long drawn out registration dispute saw Ballymena thrown out and Newry reinstated.

Ideally, this game should have been played at Mourneview Park, but the uncertainty over who would be playing, the fact that Mourneview was already booked for the other Semi-Final and that Glenavon were at home today, it became obvious that the default venue of The Oval would be used.

Newry’s support for a match of this magnitude, their first Irish Cup Semi-Final since 1987, was disappointing.

The match itself was a non-event from the moment went 2-0 up after 20 minutes. Soon after, it was 4-0, and any doubt was removed.

Linfield started on the attack, having the possession but not having an attempt on goal.

It was clear that Newry were set up to win 1-0, or draw 0-0 or 1-1 and win on penalties.

When Peter Thompson put Linfield 1-0 up, there was always the worry (and, I am a worrier) that they would get a goal from nowhere.

The match ended up 7-0 to Linfield. My highest scoring match been to this season (so far), 28th different team seen and 2nd hat-trick (Peter Thompson)

Managed to get some shots of the game and the ground. The Linfield end wasn’t as packed as usual, so managed to get some better pictures than I usually do.


Photo Album

2 thoughts on “LINFIELD 7-0 NEWRY CITY 14.4.2012

  1. Pingback: PHOTO DIARY OF A FOOTBALL SEASON : APRIL « Analogue Boy In A Digital World

  2. Pingback: 2012 IN PICTURES – APRIL | Analogue Boy In A Digital World

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s